Friday, September 30, 2011

7 gods in Hirakata

As I was wandering and exploring the narrow streets around my “dorm sweet dorm“ for the first time, I stumbled upon a Japanese bar (izakaya) called 7 Gods. I was intrigued by cute “Engrish” on the back of the building that said: “Welcome to Japan! Pleased to meet you and we want to associate with you. So get your drink on!!” Another sign informed of the opening hours and when they have a “holyday”. (The term "Engrish" references Japanese signs that have incorrect or funny English. Click here for further information). But there was more - crocodiles and an orchid were offering themselves for money and on the front side of the building (facing the east gate of KGU) were even funnier pictures of the 7 lucky gods as a comic. It all made me  fascinated and felt welcome in my neighborhood. 
This affect was exactly what the owner of 7 Gods - Jin was hoping for. Jin chose this spot for his izakaya 14 years ago mainly because of his curiosity to interact with "gaijin" (literally "outside person"). He decided to name the place after the Japanese 7 lucky gods who are believed to bring good luck and fortune (for more about them click here) and decorated it himself! The animals on the back were glued up later after he started to serve imported Australian meat thanks to a former KGU studentThe inside is a Japanese “shoes-less” interior with small tables and cushions to sit on the floor. World maps asking “Where are you from?” are add to the foreigner-friendly feeling without being touristy. You can chat with Jin who is an embodiment of the Japanese word “genki” (energetic) and has learned to be quite fluent in English. For even more Japanese fun take your drinks upstairs and torture your vocal chords with karaoke… 
I felt that 7 Gods‘ decorations and atmosphere in general is an example of how the whole neighborhood shows hospitality and eagerness towards meeting international students. It is a fun place to hang out with local people, feel at home and enjoy an amusing menu where there is tasty homemade Japanese food and exotic meat side-by-side. I don’t think I’m really up for crocodile yet...



Do you want crocodile, ostrich or kangaroo for dinner?



holy-day?
"This is Seminar House 5." "Hey, let's stop here for a drink!" "I wonder if they accept treasures." It's cheap there anyway.
7 lucky gods themself

Jin

fish glow in the dark thanks to black light lamp

Youtube video of 7 Gods from a former KGU student:



1 comment:

  1. Providing information about important institutes in your neighborhood is a good way of tackling this assignment. I hope you will expand this kind of fieldwork to areas outside of your neighborhood as well.

    ReplyDelete