To wrap up my
changing feelings about Japan I will go back where I started. In the language
of food I moved from the sushi
and mayonnaise to more advanced appreciation of Japan – the natto. From
nice and yummy at the first taste but getting a little old after a while – to
something that you maybe don’t know what to think about in the initial contact with
strange, complex flavor not easy to describe, but exciting and getting
better and better with every go to the state of liking.
Yes I really do like natto
– the definition of disgust for an average foreigner! I know the texture is
something between melted cheese and mucus but I can’t help it and I eat it more
often than sushi. Other highly developed tastes of Japan I love are the umeboshi fermented plums - sour, salty and sweet at the same time, and the unique flavored tsukemono pickles. I’m also
learning the art of obento - boxed lunch with tiny portions of different tastes organized in a nice way, the compact cuteness. I think I’m getting there because Japanese keep on
assuming that my non-existant host mother made it for me. Sometimes I got the feeling that my
interest in Japanese arts, religion and food is making me more Japanese then
Japanese and therefore kind of not Japanese at all. I also think I’m getting better in “reading
air” (kuuki yomenai=literally can’t
read the air, don’t understand social atmosphere) and in trying to look people
in the eyes to see answers in them the Japanese way. This class taught me that writing can
be fun, encouraged me to express myself in a different way and inspired me that I
can try to do anything- even make a short
film!
Overall I experienced
most of what I was seeking for and I hope I will deepen my understanding of the Japanese culture in
the next semester. Japan really is Eva no
ukiyo for me (=Eva's transient or floating world). The word ukiyo in Buddhism
meant the impermanence of human’s world with all things being illusory and
ephemeral. In the floating world of Edo period it involved savoring
sensual pleasures exciting for their changing nature. Practically it contains perfect
combination of my spiritual experiences at Koyasan (monastic center
of Shingon Buddhism) and the eyes-opening class of Mind in yoga, Buddhism, and
Daoism at KGU on one side. And the fleeting world of sake, karaoke, live houses
and the food, the FOOD on the other. Like everything floating and changing- I realize the
time will pass and I will have to let go of Japan one day…
![]() |
| natto |
![]() |
my bento box
with portable chopsticks and box for rice onigiri on the side
|
left - sweet potatoes on a shiso leaf, right -
koya dofu, shitake mushroom, carrot, lotus and pickles, upwards - yaki
udon with kimuchi
|
![]() |
| wraped bento furoshiki style |
![]() |
| downwards - chestnuts, wasabi shitake, pickles and radish, right - marinated tofu and carrots, left - fried fish, octopus and pumpkin tempura |




I hate natto! But love the post. Thank you for your efforts this semester! This blog has been one of the best in VAOJ history.
ReplyDeleteHi Eva! It was nice meeting you at Naoki's party. I just watched your short. Beautiful colors. Very cool blog!
ReplyDelete