Tattoo
is a work of art and the body is the canvas. Tattoo is something special
you never want to forget. Tattoo is expressing your believe in picture
form that will last as long as you do. Tattoo is deeper than the
skin. Tattoo is something personal that should not be used to label,
define or discriminate any more than hair color or gender... These were some of the responses
from the KGU (international and Japanese) students I received in questionnaires
following the projection of my short film “Tattoo is…” – project for the Visual
Anthropology of Japan class. And I think they contain a most of the important
ideas regarding tattooing.
This
film project started with my visit to the King of Tattoo 2011 tattoo
convention in Tokyo in October. It was a dream-come-true experience for me.
Finally I got to see the people I know from books and even the living legend – Horiyoshi III in
action! He was tattooing his own son Souryou on
stage by both hand-tebori style and a machine. He was sitting in a lotus
position on a tatami concentrated so deeply that he looked like in a
state of meditation. But there was not just the traditional Japanese tattooing
that is notoriously and stereotypically connected with the yakuza. There were
also a lot of nice examples of modern Japanese tattoos that were more or less a
fusion of traditional Japanese and western one-point tattoos like amazing
self-taught Shige and
modern tattoo shops like Catclaw in
Kyoto and Three Tides Tattoo in
Osaka. The celebration of Japanese tattooing peak with guys in traditional
all-body tattoos making rice mochi and performing ritual group sake drinking.
It was not a typical formal Japanese celebration at all though. You can find shots from the event in the “Tattoo is…” film below or on this link in better resolution.
Japanese
tattoo has such a big name in tattoo community in the West and even outside of this subculture (check out Horiyoshi III
clothing line in fashion magazines and on Hollywood celebrities here). However tattoos still remain kind of a stigma in Japanese society even among the
average young. On the other hand it is sad for me that even here in Japan there is a growing number of people not concerned or interested in the meaning of their tattoos and have them more like permanent fashion accessories. Maybe it is because majority of young Japanese are not interested in their religion and some don't even see the difference between Shinto and Buddhist shrines. Therefore some people choose Kannon riding a dragon because it looks cool not for the fact that she is the Goddes of Mercy. However I hope that even in this quickened life there will always be some people willing to stop and think or maybe better- not think at all... More zen less yen!
![]() |
| Maneki Neko - the Lucky Cat |
![]() |
| Horiyoshi III tattooing his son |
![]() |
| Shige (at the bottom on the right) and his customers |
![]() |
| Shige's Fudo Myo-o |
![]() |
| Shige's Eleven Headed Kannon |
![]() |
| traditional Japanese tattoos displayed the traditional way |
![]() |
| modern Japanese tattoo strongly influenced by the west and mixed with one-point western tattoos |
![]() |
| I couldn't resist the fun sake ritual |
Further reading:
Irezumi: the
pattern of dermatography in Japan – history of Japanese tattoo in great detail
Japanese
Tattoo classic by Ian Buruma
The books of Horiyoshi III – highly
artistic books in every aspect but really expensive, check out the publishers blog.
Tattoos
of the Floating World: Ukiyo-E Motifs in Japanese Tattoo – excellent book
that explains the connection between Japanese tattooing and woodblock prints.
Japanese
Buddhism x Horiyoshi III – religious aspects of Japanese tattooing with very nice pictures.
Bushido: Legacies of the Japanese Tattoo - The Samurai spirit of Japanese
tattooing (nice and cheap)
Tattoo
in Japan – Traditional and modern tattoos in amazing and fun pictures!
1000
Tattoos by Taschen – cheap and fun book with really cool vintage tattoos
(the Japanese tattoo part is not the best though)
Tattoo Burst Magazine – the most
respected magazine about tattooing in Japan
Interview with
Horiyoshi III in japantimes.co.jp
Tattoo Museum
in Yokohama – probably the messiest museum ever with incredible mixture of
stuff with/about tattoos.











I am glad you did this post so that you could include more data from your extensive fieldwork in this project. Excellent photos (I really like the first photo a lot...). I think this post could be a very popular and important resource for contemporary Japanese tattoos. It deserves to be promoted as such somewhere...
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through the visual anthropology class I'm doing this semester. Funnily enough, I also got the mind and body in yoga one. And I'm a great fan of tattoos too! I really want to get a tebori tattoo done here, I'll check out the links you posted to see if I find a place to do it. I can see I'm gonna enjoy reading this blog.
ReplyDeleteHi Goomy, thanx for your comment and let me know if you want some tips. I´m still at KGU!
Delete